Riding Gear — Cleaning

Home Forums General Discussion Riding Gear — Cleaning

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Jeff Grimes

Had the pleasure of riding during one of  yesterday’s downpours.  Soaked my Rev It Sand 3 suit through.  Since its wet, I figure its a good time to clean it.  Rev-it’s instructions for the textile suit have a bunch of symbols with X’s, but otherwise only say to wash it separately.  I saw some instructions on-line for using a special soap…but that was referencing protection of the waterproof capability.  I assure you, this suit is NOT waterproof at all.  I was only wearing the outer shell.  Not the Goretex liner.

So, adventure riders that get their gear dirty, how do you clean it?  Am I overthinking it?

Mike E

What I do:

Nikiwax Tech Wash for Gore Tex or any DWR (durable water repellent) gear.  For non-waterproof gear I use normal laundry detergent. I run an extra rinse cycle to get all the detergent out & let it drip dry.  No fabric softener.

If it’s waterproof gear, I throw it in the dryer after it’s drip dried and dry it on hot for a few minutes to ‘reactivate’ the DWR.  I heard somewhere that that helps?

I take all the pads out before I wash it.  A front load is better for the gear, but I never use  one.

Dale Estes

I second Mike. I use Nikwax Tech Wash and the waterproofing. I use the waterproofing mostly to help when I get in a light sprinkle and I don’t want to don the rainsuit.  It helps to keep me dry in the lighter stuff.

Jeff Grimes

Thanks Mike/Dale

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.