Is this R1200GS Adventure a decent deal?

Home Forums General Discussion Is this R1200GS Adventure a decent deal?

• This topic has 5 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago by Craig_R.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Larry Benitz

Seller is asking $8,250, KBB says $6,400 is the average listing price (not trade in), but extras (windscreen, bags, nav) may add a couple hundred.  Seller says price is firm.  Not looking for a super deal, but don’t want to excessively over pay either.

https://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/mcy/d/bloomfield-hills-bmw-r1200gs-adventure/7134392536.html

Thanks for any advice!

Larry

Jennifer Argentino

Larry:  The price is on the high side.  We literally just took this 2007 BMW R1200GS in (engine is still warm lol).  It has 58,965 miles on the clock and it runs great.   Comes with BMW factory bags and aftermarket top case.   We are asking $6,500 at BMW Motorcycles of Southeast Michigan. As Kirk and Gary (mechanics here) attest, the 2007 BMW GS is their favorite year.  You can call or text me.  734-330-3858

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Jeff H

Adventure model with nice accessories, spoke wheels, aluminum panniers and lower mileage definitely adds value depending what you’re looking to do with the bike. Both bikes are descent value, but based on options, accessories and suspension I would lean towards the GSA model. Unless you’re looking for a lower bike, then the GS is a good option.

Jeff H

A couple other thoughts. The 2010-2013 GSA’s (2010-2012 GS) had a way smoother engine (Cam-Heads?). I had a 2007 and it was great bike, but not as smooth.

You can check AdvRider for price comparisons, but need to factor in condition and location. Mileage is not the only indicator on adventure bikes.

It looks like there is a clean, nicely setup 2009 GSA out in Dexter for a little less. https://annarbor.craigslist.org/mcy/d/dexter-2009-bmw-r1200-gs-adventure/7121916129.html

Larry Benitz

Jenn – Does the bike have ABS?

Jeff – thanks for the info, much appreciated.

Larry

Craig_R

Larry – I’ll let Jenn confirm – but I believe that all GS and GSA models have ABS.  The typical ABS discussion focuses on the early models (2005-2007) with the electric servo ABS units.   If the fluid is not changed regularly, they have some tendency to stick servo valves.   Full replacement servo modules are expensive (~$4000??).   I’ve got 86,000 miles on my ’05 with these brakes and have had no problems.  (There is a company called “Module Masters” that has been promising a $500 servo rebuild service for several years now, but it still isn’t running.)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.