Is this R1200GS a good buy?

Home Forums General Discussion Is this R1200GS a good buy?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Larry Benitz

Looking to pick up an adventure bike, thought I would try “pre-owned” before buying new.  Can any club members tell me if this is a reasonable price?  Any known issues with the ’08s?

https://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/mcd/d/white-lake-2008-bmw-r1200gs/7091397798.html

Or if you know of an 800, 850 or 1200 for sale, I’d be interested.

Thanks in advance!

Larry

Kent Niederhofer

Larry, without the ability to give the bike a thorough inspection it would be hard to say but, assuming that all is in order and that the bike is as pristine as it appears in the photos, I would say that the price is  very reasonable.  You could look at Craigslist and eBay for the same or similar bikes to further satisfy your curiosity on that point.  You are no doubt aware the the 2008 MY had a mild engine upgrade from 100 > 105 hp and there was a further upgrade for the 2010 MY with the dual camshaft engine and 110 hp.  It was with the 2013 MY that BMW introduced “precision-cooling” which consisted of a water jacket in the cylinder head to control combustion temperatures more precisely.  This resulted in an engine with 125 hp.  Getting back to your original question, I would suggest a brief inspection and short ride will tell you everything you need to know.  Good luck!  Kent

Larry Benitz

Kent,

Thanks for the feedback.  I’ll give a call and see if it’s still available after we get out of lock down.

Larry

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.