Reply To: 13th annual Pinckney to Williamston ride, this coming Sunday May 17!

Home Forums General Discussion 13th annual Pinckney to Williamston ride, this coming Sunday May 17! Reply To: 13th annual Pinckney to Williamston ride, this coming Sunday May 17!

Anonymous

Okay, kids – this post has been up for 5 days now, and has had 54 views – and yet, not ONE response to my request for ride leaders.

So here’s the deal. I’m not leading a group of a dozen or more motorcycles. I’ve done this before, and it was not fun – I won’t do it again. So I am willing to lead a group of half a dozen riders, tops. First come, first serve. After that, you’re on your own to make your way to Ruth’s in Williamston, by whatever route you wish, or by navigating one of the routes I’ve provided using GPS, or the maps, or the turn-by-turn instructions, or any combination thereof.

If folks want to ride, led in small groups, as has been the case in prior years, then I need at least 2-3 folks to step up and volunteer to lead.

Or there’s another option I’ll consider, suggested to me by TCDer Dave DeCook, who has had experience with the group ride technique I’m about to describe. I will lead the group, being the designated ride leader. In addition someone will be designated as the sweep rider, who will be the last rider in the group throughout the ride. The ride leader and sweep rider will stay in those positions throughout the entire ride. At each turn along the route the rider immediately behind me will drop off and stop, serving as a turn marker for the remaining riders. When the sweep rider approaches this ‘marker’ rider, the marker rider will start up again in front of the sweep rider (who remains the sweep rider throughout) to follow the group. This process repeats for each route change along the route. I will signal to the rider immediately behind me at that time at each route direction change where I want to drop a ‘turn marker’ rider.

Dave states that he has participated in successful group rides with as many as 50 bikes using this technique. Note that this technique lets everyone ride at their own pace, even passing bikes (with consideration and safety, of course) in the group, so long as no one passes the leader (moi), and everyone follows the ride protocol outlined above.

There you have it – those are the options for Sunday’s Pinckney-to-Williamston ride. Folks will need to figure out what they want to do before Sunday.

Regards,