Reply To: 2019 Thumb Run 9/14 & 15

Home Forums General Discussion 2019 Thumb Run 9/14 & 15 Reply To: 2019 Thumb Run 9/14 & 15

D_F_D

Well the Thumb run has come and gone now. We had a smaller group than we have had in the past. The attendees were Harry Jones, Dale Estes and my self. It’s too bad more couldn’t have attended. The camp ground was not very crowded, and we had one of the largest sites in the camp.  There was plenty of room for more people. We all voted for going back to Sleeper next year.

On my ride up on Friday I had a little bit of drizzle about 1/2 way up.  But than it cleared up by the time I got to the camp site. It was very windy most of Friday night. And I saw on the weather report that the metro Detroit area got hit with some heavy weather too.

All day Saturday we had perfect weather , it was in the low 70’s and sunny. Prefect for doing what ever. The high winds prevented me from going swimming due to the high waves and currents. Oh well some other time. When we went down into Port Austin for lunch. I notice that one of the restaurants in town on main street that the group had frequent in the past had been torn down. This was due to a fire last fall. Too bad it was a great place to eat. After lunch we had to go get ice cream at “The Grindstone Country Store”. For those that haven’t been there before, it’s a destination if you like ice cream. The small size is 17 oz’s. So needless to say you will not leave hungry. It’s fun to watch the reactions of some of the customers when they come out side.

Early Sunday morning we had some heavy rain during the early morning hours so we had to deal with packing up the wet gear in the morning before heading for home. I didn’t see any rain all the way home.

Sorry to see that more couldn’t make it this year. Hopefully we’ll have a larger group next year. I know I’ll be back.