Reply To: Off-Road Sand Practice Day – Sat. August 25th

Home Forums General Discussion Off-Road Sand Practice Day – Sat. August 25th Reply To: Off-Road Sand Practice Day – Sat. August 25th

Mike E

Greg – I’ll go again anytime you want to go.  There wasn’t any holding anyone up, our whole point of going is to spend time practicing.

On the equipment side, it is easier to ride a small bike, but the whole point of what we do is to conquer the terrain on the big bikes.  If you’re great on a big bike you can ride a small one like a rock-star, but not vice versa.

The next time I fall, I’ll happily let you pick up the GSA.  It’s very manageable.  There are lighter big bikes, but none lighter to pick up than a GS.  And they’re tractors in the sand.  They’re great bikes to learn on for both of those reasons.

Big blocks are better in the sand.  But sand riding takes time and starting slow.  Practicing the slow sand skills precede the faster sand skills.  (I’m working on that transition now…)  keeping the outriggers up going slow is where it starts.

It’s a bit unfortunate that it rained so hard when we first got there, because that’s exactly what we worked on at the staging area last time.  The wet sand there also was not the best for practice.

I’ll go next weekend again!