Reply To: r1200gs engine guards and bash plate recommendations?

Home Forums General Discussion r1200gs engine guards and bash plate recommendations? Reply To: r1200gs engine guards and bash plate recommendations?

leahyz

I have run the Hepco Becker bars on my 06 12GS since it was almost brand new.  I normally just run the lower bars, but I have the upper tank bars as well.  I can say they have provided good protection in hundreds of off-road tip-overs and one good pavement spill.  They are not stainless so they will rust if the powdercoat gets worn through, so that is  a consideration.

For the bash plate, the best is the Black Dog and I am planning an upgrade.  I ran the OEM plate for many years and finally lost it on a trip last summer.  Greg hooked me up with his Wunderlich Extreme plate, but that is the same one he had on when he broke an engine casting.  Black Dog is the only one that I know of that does not connect to the motor in the rear.  Some searching on ADV Rider will show there are numerous reports of bikes breaking the engine casting with the plates that attach to the motor casing – OEM, or aftermarket.  If you are going to upgrade, go bomb proof.