Suggested Rides fo r2018 – Add your suggestions below :)

Home Forums General Discussion Suggested Rides fo r2018 – Add your suggestions below :)

• This topic contains 12 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  MartinR1200GS 2 months, 3 weeks ago.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Richard Hautau

http://www.onlyinyourstate.com/michigan/middle-of-nowhere-store-mi/

A Large old time General Store and Hardware Store

They say:

The Michigan Store That’s In The Middle Of Nowhere But So Worth The Journey
    Good things seem to appear when we least expect them, and this rule applies to all aspects of life in Michigan. With so many unique areas of the state to explore, there’s no shortage of hidden gems that sit tucked away in the middle of nowhere. For an unforgettable experience, check out this fascinating store that’s situated in the least expected of places.

Dublin General Store is located at 18372 Hoxeyville Road in the small town of Wellston.

Mats Ceder

Some suggestions:

One of the BDRs (I am doing CO in June)

Trans Wisconsin Adventure trail (easy and fun  ride but a boring 500 mile tarmac ride to get to the start)

Swamp

After reading the post that Dave Allgood posted about the TCD turning 50 this year, how about a 50th Anniversary ride?

Not sure if there are any rides on file from 1968, but if there are, a “retrace” of one or more routes might be kinda cool.

Just thinking.

Craig G

MABDR (Mid-Atlantic BackCountry Discovery Route).

It’s so close, and the route/tracks were just released!

Swamp

Craig, the MABDR looks interesting. Like you said its close, and looks like a fun ride. the route is 1080 miles long. They just released the official trailer video for it as well.

https://ridebdr.com/MABDR

Mike E

A few of us got together and watch the MABDR view yesterday (thanks again Eric for hosting and Shannon for bringing the video).  It looks like a fun and scenic route.

It’s not a technical ride like the other Backroad Discovery Routes, so it’s great for all levels.  Lots of twisty, windy, dirt and paved back-roads going up the spine of the Appalachians (If you’re only looking for gnarley off-road treachery, this may not be your ride).

We were considering times we could fit this in the calendar and one option is to do it immediately before or after the BMW RA Rally in Wellsboro, PA.  The rally site is a very close to to the northern end of the route.  Doing this would likely make this together with the RA two weekends + 5 days of vacation.  Could be July 14 – July 19, then the RA is July 19-21. Or we could ride it south after the RA rally.

Who might be in for a ride like this?

nobody0101

I like the idea of doing the MA DBR ride going from south to north  and ending up at the RA rally.

Perhaps possibly just half of the route or whatever distance makes the most sense as far as timing is concerned.

It looks like a fun ride, seems much like one of the Ohio or Indiana rides more so than some of the gnarlier stuff we have done (on big bikes anyway), but definitely scenic.

Swamp

Nobody, did you buy the video for this MA route. I’m curious as to “How Hard” this route may or may not be. It sounds like its not to difficult according to what Mike has posted, and if that’s the case, this would be a ride I’d be interested in.

I agree with Nobody, start at the south end and ride north and end up at the RA Rally.

Gary Mayes

I’m interested in doing that ride, before  or after RA.

Mike E

It looks like there will be a public screening of the Mid-Atlantic BDR video at the Maple Theater (15& Telegraph) on Monday, March 19th at 8pm.

Everyone interested can come, watch, and discuss the options.  Tickets will be $10 and will be available online in advance.

We will post when all the details are worked out and tickets are available (should be soon.)

Plan on attending!

Harry Jones

Wow. I did part of those routes last year. Didn’t know they were famous. I just got them from researching maps and ADV. Would like to join the group but I’m tied up mid July to mid August.

Curious. Is the movie more that footage of guys riding the route? …and playing with large snakes…

Mike E

The movie provides an overview of the BDR crew riding the whole route.  It’s all about the ride and their experience.  They did play with a snake if I remember right.

Importantly, they did not sit around the campfire and tell their “story”…

MartinR1200GS

Same-day or day long  rides in  Northwest Ohio might be something.  There are routes along the Maumee River southwest to Defiance, Ohio, and back that are scenic with a few decent choices for lunch or food.

Ohio Route 105 from Bowling Green north east to Oak Harbor, Ohio, and then Rte. 163 to Catawba is very nice with the scenery and food options at the lake being very good.

Dave M

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.