Info on upcoming ride in Michigan UP

Home Forums General Discussion Info on upcoming ride in Michigan UP

• This topic contains 20 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  Craig G 1 week, 2 days ago.
Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author

Dave Allgood

Are we doing Thursday thru Sunday or Friday thru Monday?  I prefer Friday night in St. Ignace, Saturday night in Grand Marais, and Sunday back in St. Ignace.  Some will just boogie on back home Sunday night.

There will be a road ride as well as the usual sand hell, so if you want to bring a touring bike i” put together some routes.  Whitefish Point light house, the Falls, whatever you want to see.  let me know because I won’t do it if no one is coming.

Mike E

Friday night in St Ignace and Sat in Grand Marais, and Sun back to St Ignace / Home.

Greg Linton

I would attempt this on my 1090R provided there aren’t too many deep sand + ascents/descents. Our novice group in Barrie spent a good hour getting up that one steep sandy section. Once I figured out the speed, I made it up in 2 mins. But that section was 100 yards, not miles long, and I had paid helpers to assist in getting my unladen bike off its side.

Mike E

The U.P. ride has been described as having “soul- crushing sand”.  This one is the super bowl of sand.  Miles and miles of the siltiest stuff on earth.

I’ve not ridden it yet.

It’s why many take their small bikes.  There is a paved option this year though!

nobody0101

There was definitely a soul crushing sand section last year.  By section, I’d guess a few miles.  Maybe it just seemed longer than it was because I was hallucinating, but regardless – tough (for me anyway).

But, I can’t remember any ascents/descents of any magnitude, so that is something.   All that said, it’s a great ride.

Craig G

I’m in, and will be hitching one of the KTM’s up to St. Ignace.  🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.