Ear Plugs

Home Forums General Discussion Ear Plugs

• This topic contains 11 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  Dale Estes 1 month, 1 week ago.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Dale Estes

I’ve started wearing ear plugs and have found that I like using them more than I though I would.  I’m just using the cheapo foam ones that I’ve got at work, and they’re OK, but thought I’d start looking at some better ones. Maybe some  that actually filter out the harmful noises rather than just block everything.

What are other members using, any recommendations?

hundredmph farmer

Dale

I have been wearing ear plugs while riding for a lot of years now.

Personally I can’t stand the ultra soft foam type plugs as they make my ears itch and sweat.

I have tried a number of different ear plugs over the years but keep going back to the Howard Leight “quiet” ear plugs SNR-28, NRR-26. These are a soft  type but are a smooth closed cell or maybe even a urethane of some sort.

They block most of the wind noise but still allow hearing traffic, horns, and people talking.

A quick look on the internet doesn’t show the exact ones that I wear but some of the current  Howard Leight “quiet” look pretty close.

The ones that I use are pretty disposable so I wear them for a month or so then toss them and grab a new pair.

You might have to try a number of different styles and types before you find something the works “for you”  and something that you like wearing hours on end.

I’ll throw an extra set in my bike that I’ll give you next time I see you.

Pat O’Neill

I used the foam ones for years… I found them not comfortable for long rides and they do tend to block out too much.

I finally switched to Nonoise Earplugs and couldn’t be happier… can’t feel they are in there even after a long ride.  They seem to cut out the harmful wind noise (via an embedded ceramic disk) but you can still hear voices and the radio fine.

Here’s a link:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EDHWELY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Pat

D_F_D

Hi Dale I also have been wearing ear plugs for a long time now. I think it is a good practice to wear the plug to protect your hearing. I find that after a long day on the bike I am less fatigued. And I don’t have the ringing in the ears issue. Also at my last ear example they really do protect your hearing.

I have tried multiple types of ear plugs from the custom fit type to the rubber type. And after trying all of them I keep moving back to the foam type plugs . And I wear plugs that are rated at 33 decibels.

I would suggest that you go to the web site http://www.e-a-rfit.com and look at what they offer. When you look at there site you will see that they offer a sample package. It contains multiple types of ear plugs. You can order that kit and try out the various plugs and decide which one work best for you. That is what I did and after trying about 7 – 8 types of plugs I found that the type “E-A-Rsoft- FX – 33” works best for me. But everyone is different so check it out and see which one works best for you.

Dale Estes

Thanks guys,  I’ve been looking at the ones Pat links to and also these.  I like the ides of “filtering” the noise levels as opposed to just blocking out everything.  These two particular sets seem to be aimed at the motorsports industry so I’ll probably give them a try.

I’ve also come across these custom fit ear plugs that look fairly easy to do, there’s a video that shows how to make them.  I want to give these a try as they look like they’d be more comfortable for the longer rides.  But they’re just plugs, no filtering.  Maybe I can hack the two together.

jnwbiker

I use Max Lite disposable foam as well as custom Westone ear plugs.

The Max Lites are best for occasional use and I don’t have to worry about loosing them.

The custom Westones I wear more for trips when I have a tank bag on the bike and can keep stuff organized. Mine are the Tru Customs with the interchangeable filters. But I see they actually have a Motorsport version now. My molds were done at Proctor ENT in Auburn Hills. But Westone lists several local “dealers”.

-James

Mats Ceder

I have custom fit plugs. (Molded in ear) the type musicians wear. I normally run a 15 dB filter. The plus is that music still sounds good and it does not cut all frequencies flat.

I find that when I use a very tight fitting helmet like my BMW or Schubert the “stems” on the plugs go a little to deep into the ear canals and that is uncomfortable. I am go8ng to cut 1 or 2 millimeter off and see how it feels.

I believe I paid a couple of hundred bucks for them.

Jeff H

Very happy with the DIY custom fit Radians. They’re cheap enough you can buy a couple just in case. I custom molded some earbuds into a set and am also very pleased with the results.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002XULPSQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

nobody0101

I like these:

https://www.amazon.com/Shure-SE215-CL-Isolating-Earphones-MicroDriver/dp/B004PO10E2

Not specifically ear plugs, but they are definitely isolating.  I’ve tried a few different types of plugs including those that supposed to filter/cut down on the noise while still allowing you to hear your music and did not care for them.

These are great for isolating road/wind noise and they sound great for music.  Sits flush in your ear and fits under a helmet without issue.

As a side benefit, if/when the Sena ambient mode chooses to work you can communicate with the outside world a bit better by hearing your surroundings through the earbuds.  But, that feature rarely seems to work in practice.

MartinR1200GS

Illegal in Ohio but I wear them.

Ohio Revised Code Sec. 4511.84.

See also Stave V. Varsel, 2014-Ohio-1899.

jankowsr

John had a vendor at an SEM open house a couple of summers ago from BigEarInc  https://bigearinc.com/product/#!/BE-SP-Solid-Ear-Plugs-Made-on-Site-Motorcycle-EarPlugs/p/29764458/category=2415853

I had a pair of these custom plugs made for myself. They work well. All other ear plugs fall out of my ears, eventually. Not these – they stay in since they are molded to fit the contour of your ear canal. My ears ache a bit when I start wearing them at the beginning of the riding season, but that doesn’t last long.  I can still hear my in-helmet speakers for music and in-coming phone calls. I’d definitely recommend them.

Dale Estes

Lots of good information, I went ahead and ordered these.  When I get them in and made, I’ll update this post to let everyone know how they are.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.