6 week trip. Advice please!

Home Forums General Discussion 6 week trip. Advice please!

• This topic contains 6 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Marina Ackerson 1 week, 3 days ago.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Matthew Hill

Im planning on taking 6 weeks to travel around the country in about 2 months time. I want to take Route 66 to LA, then the Pacific Coast Highway through California and carry on up to Seattle. From there I plan to head back East through the Northern states and the UP then back down to Detroit. Im planning on camping some nights and motels, hotels, air-bnb some times too.

Any experience shared or advice offered would be a great help. If you prefer to talk rather than type I’ll happily pay for beer or coffee in exchange for knowledge!

Also if you want to come along I’m open to company along the way!

Matt

Mike E

Matt,

I did that almost that exact trip about 6 years ago.  I went out in November and stored my bike in Seattle, then flew back in the spring and rode it home.

On the way out my wife flew into Scottsdale and we spent 3-4 days in Sedona, then she flew home and I continued on.

On the way home, I went further south through Utah and Colorado vs. the northern route because I’d already done that a few times.

It was a great trip.  Splitting the year-end, I was able to spend more time than vacation would otherwise allow.

-Mike

Kalfastsen

If you are so inclined, try to go to Yellowstone. If not for the park, go for the roads. Take the northeast gate out to the Beartooth Highway to Red Lodge. Not to be missed

Kevin Gao

The northern stretch of CA highway 1 is closed until Sept 2018. So plan around that.

http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/roadinfo/display.php?page=sr1

Matthew Hill

Thanks guys.

Any tips about camping? I didn’t really want to book ahead as I’d quite like to be able to explore, but are camp sites easy to find? Do people just camp in random spots too?

Steve Schwab

I suspect you’ll be disappointed with Rt. 66. Not much there anymore. Make sure you find your way up into Utah and don’t miss Grand Staircase Escalante. Rt. 12 from Torrey, Utah down to Bryce Canyon. Spectacular ride! Stay at the Broken Spur Inn in Torrey. For a unique experience, you can stay in a covered wagon. Here’s a video of the ride.

If you’re coming up from I-40, make a stop at the North Rim of Grand Canyon. Less populated than the South Rim but very special. Either plan on camping or get advanced reservations.

Many of the National Park campgrounds are full early in the day. However, there’s usually good private campgrounds around the areas. You can camp anywhere on Bureau of Land Management (BLM) property. Be aware that there’s usually no camping on Indian Reservations and some of the reservations in the Dakotas can be really huge. I had to ride over 600 miles one day in South Dakota before I got out of the reservations and found a small motel.

Marina Ackerson

Matt, hope to meet you one day.  My advice is to take along your MOA anonymous book.  Maybe contact someone in an area you will be in, or should you need help along the way.  List of dealers are in there also.  Also, look up any rally’s along the way.  You will be traveling in the heat of the summer, but also best time for the mountains.  Look up BLM campgrounds.  Sounds like a great trip.  Brings back good memories of trips gone by.  Marina

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.