2017 Fall Color Tour Lewiston

Home Forums GPS Discussion 2017 Fall Color Tour Lewiston

• This topic contains 12 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Jack Johnson 1 year ago.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Jeff H

Attached are the adventure tracks for the fall color tour. I also threw together four road routes, but feel free to add to this list.

Road Tracks (4):

• 300 Mile’r: Giant loop of Tunnel of trees to Cheboygan/Rogers City/Alpena and AuSable River.
    • AuSable/Alpena/Rogers 202 mi. Includes Ocqueoc Falls.
    • Cheboygan 185 mi. Includes Ocqueoc Falls.
    • Tunnel of Trees 189 mi (MI 119)

Adventure Tracks (Self explanatory)

• 2017 Trk 1 Lewiston to Lunch – first track to lunch. Includes BBWA (Big Bike Work Arounds) for single track/orv areas. Also has an option to go up to Lake Huron from the Ocqueoc Falls. The roads up there are probably better than the lake views.
      1. Fuel stop at Millerburg is recommended for small bikes (53 miles)
      2. 2nd Fuel stop in Twin Lakes either 78 miles or 88 miles depending on route.
    • Lake Huron Scenic Overlook: Option to go up and see Lake Huron after the falls. Add ~10 miles to the loop
    • 2017 Trk 2 Twin Lakes to Lewiston – gets us home from the Dirty Duck. Somewhat gnarly near Black Lake.
    • BBWA = Big Bike Work Around
    • RCWA = Road Closed Work Around – hopefully won’t need this.
    • Sunday Ride = possible dirt ride to West Branch on Sunday

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Craig Renneker

Anyone else have a problem with these GPX files?  First, I could not download them, I could only open them as text files, copy and paste in Notepad and resave as GPX.  Second, I only get the major waypoints, not the entire route.  I’ve downloaded many of Jeff’s other GPX files from this forum with no problems at all.

Help??

Jeff H

I just tried to download them. I had to “Right-Click” on them, then select “Save Link As”, and then in the drop down menu change the file type from “txt” to “all files”.

Jeff H

Here they are as “*.gdb” files. Not sure if that will help.

Attachments:

Craig Renneker

Got it working per your suggestion.  Thanks!

Mats Ceder

It worked!

Dale Estes

I called the campgrounds today and made my reservation.  The woman I talked to told that there are plenty of sites for anyone that doesn’t make a reservation and just walks in.  All of the tent sites are for a single tent, have electricity and water and cost $10 nightly.  Any one that checks in, tell them that you’re with the BMW Touring Club of Detroit and they should be able to put us all in the same area.  I’m leaving Friday morning so I’ll do what I can to get us grouped together.

Dale Estes

Here’s the route I’m planning on taking up to the camp grounds.  If anyone wants to come along, you’re more than welcome.  If you want to meet somewhere, or maybe go through somewhere particular,  let me know and I can adjust the route.

As it is, it’s 210 miles, about 5.5 hours non stop.

Attachments:

Jack Johnson

Might join you Dale but I can’t open the file.

Jeff H

“Right-Click” on them, then select “Save Link As”, and then in the drop down menu change the file type from “txt” to “all files”

Jack Johnson

Working with a MacBook Pro, right click does not give me that option.

Lukas Eddy

If it’s sitting as a .txt file instead of .gpx you can probably change the extension to “.gpx” and it’ll work. Not sure if that’s the problem you’ve got, but it’s what worked for me on Macbook Pro.

“Control-Click” the file then select “Get Info” then under “Name & Extension” confirm the file name is “_____.gpx” and when it warns you that changing the name could cause it to open in a different application go ahead and confirm the change.

Jack Johnson

Lukas, it took me a few minutes but I got it figured out. Thank you.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.